Carbon Monoxide (CO) Safety

Carbon monoxide is an invisible danger — you can’t see it, smell it, or taste it.
Please take a few minutes to learn about carbon monoxide dangers and the
simple precautions you can take to reduce the risk of accidental poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly

Every year, hundreds of Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.
Some of these fatalities are caused by improper operation of appliances. Carbon monoxide can strike quickly…people who are sleeping can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

High levels of carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, such as:
Headache, dizziness, fatique, shortness of breath, nausea

In extreme cases, high levels of – or extended exposure to – carbon monoxide can result in brain damage or death. Young children; the elderly; people with heart disease; and those under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication are particularly susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, ACT IMMEDIATELY!

• If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.

• If no one has physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, but you suspect that carbon monoxide is present, have carbon monoxide levels and your propane equipment checked by a technician.

Reduce the Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

• Have your appliances and venting systems checked annually.
• Keep chimneys, flues, and vents free of debris.
• Keep chimneys, flues, and vents free of snow and ice.
• Consider installing a UL-carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home.
• NEVER use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
• NEVER use portable heaters indoors, unless approved for indoor use.
• NEVER use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.

Warning Signs of Dangerous Carbon Monoxide Levels

• Sooting, especially on appliances, vents, and warm air registers
• Unfamiliar or burning odor
• Increased moisture inside of windows

MO&P are proud members of NEFI, NPGA, NORA, OESP, PGANE