Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon monoxide is an invisible danger — you can’t see it, smell it, or taste it.
Please take a few minutes to learn about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO) and
the simple precautions you can take to reduce the risk of accidental poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly

Every year, hundreds of Americans die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide can strike quickly…people who are sleeping can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

High levels of carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, such as: headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath and nausea. Extended exposure can result in brain damage or death.

If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, ACT IMMEDIATELY!
If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, get everyone out of the home or building and call 911.

Reduce the Risk

• Install carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home and routinely check that it
is working properly or replace batteries.
• Have your appliances and venting systems checked annually.
• Keep chimneys, flues, and vents free of debris, snow or ice.
• NEVER use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
• Use portable heaters that have been approved for indoor use.
• NEVER use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.

Warning Signs of Dangerous Carbon Monoxide Levels

• Sooting (discoloring) on appliances, vents, and warm air registers
• Unfamiliar or burning odor
• Increased moisture inside of windows

MO&P are proud members of NEFI, NPGA, NORA, OESP, PGANE